Jo's Homemade Biscuits... With a GF DF SF Twist

5:35 PM

'MIND YOUR OWN BISCUITS + LIFE WILL BE GRAVY' (OR JELLY)

Confession... I live in the South and I love me some biscuits! 
The gluten, however, was getting all sorts of in my way. 
So I got rid of it, as well as the dairy and the soy... I'm looking at you butter and shortening!

 

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I am a HUGE fan of Chip and Jo! 
I totally sport my WACO tee every chance I get because growing up, leaving, and moving back to a small town with a big place in your heart is near and dear to our story. 

The Magnolia Journal is SO full of good things from encouraging articles, to delicious recipes, to just fun finds. I try to make a few things out of each issue and this is the first from the most recent Summer issue that is currently on newsstands. I have yet to be disappointed with an issue. There are no obnoxious fillers that are obviously included just to take up space so you will buy a magazine. 
(Can you tell how much I love when editors do that?!) 
Good content from good people. That's all.

You guys, this is far and away my best allergy friendly biscuit yet, so feast those gluten free eyes on this recipe and get back to living the good life.


Jo's Buttermilk Biscuits With a GF DF SF Twist

Ingredients:
2 cups bobs red mill AP GF baking flour
2 cup King Arthur AP GF flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup COLD Earth Balance butter (the soy free version)
1/2 cup COLD Spectrum all vegetable soy free shortening (I found mine at Publix)
1/4 cup COLD (plus more for brushing tops of biscuits) So Delicious original creamer
1 cup COLD coconut milk
1 Tbsp vinegar

Instructions:
  • Preheat oven to 450
  • In a large bowl combine first 6 ingredients with a whisk
  • Place the Tbsp of vinegar in a 1 cup measuring cup and fill to the cup marker with cold coconut milk (let sit for 10 min) 
  • Using a pastry blender (or your fingers) cut in the Earth Balance butter and Spectrum shortening until the lumps are about the size of peas 
  • Make a well in the center of the mixture and pour in the vinegar coconut milk mixture as well as the cream
  • Mix only until combined with wooden spoon (If the dough is still too wet, add more Bob's Red Mill flour 1/4 cup at a time)
  • Generously flower a clean surface and turn the dough onto that floured surface. shape it into a large rectangular shape about 1 inch thick and move to parchment paper
  • Cut dough into squares and do not separate
  • Place this paper with dough on it onto a baking sheet and put in freezer to set up for about 5 minutes
  • Bake at 450 for about 15 minutes or until just golden brown on top
  • Serve Warm!

Other news: Find Jo's Lemon Pie that I made Allergy friendly (here)
Let me know if you LOVE this as much as my GF we did!
post signature

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook